Tuesday, 17 February 2015
Avatar Book Institute 1987
01. Rama Rama
02. Keshava Murahara
03. Er Ra
04. Madhura Manohara Giridhari
05. Deva Deva
06. Chandra Shekara
07. Om Shanti
08. Rama Guru
09. Hari Narayan
My friend Marc turned me on to Alice Coltrane. I was grateful (as I always am when he recommends, impeccable taste). I wanted an Alice Coltrane album that was my own, one I could give back to him and say I discovered.
I went for pot luck and got this cassette rip from the late eighties. I did not expect the ethereal beauty of this new age piece of ambient synth. Wonderful.
Ten dollars says Hudson Gardner loves this.
01. Paul Giovanni & Magnet - Loving Couples
02. Richard & Mimi Farina - A Swallow Song
03. Duncan Brown - my Only Son
04. Al Stewart - A Long Way Down From Stephanie
05. Amazing Blondel - A Spring Air
06. Wooden Horse - Northern Beaches
07. Steve Tilson - It's Not My Place To Fall
08. Bridget St. John - Song for the Waterden Widow
09. Carolane Pegg - The Sapphire
10. Donovan - Turquoise
11. Frogmorton - Judas & Mary
12. Agincourt - Kind Sir
13. Bert Jansch - Blackwaterside
14. John Renbourn - Oh Death
15. Loudest Whisper - Lir's Lament
16. Gwydion - Songs of Mari
17. Mr. Fox - Little Women
18. Incredible String Band - Maker of Islands
19. Sandy Denny - The Music Weaver
20. Tim Buckley - Song to the Siren (Demo)
Bootleg, recorded 1968 - 1969
01. Lanky (Part 1) - Take 1
02. Lanky (Part 2 - Rhamadhan)
03. Golden Hair - Take 1
04. Swan Lee (Silas Lang) - Take 5
05. Late Night - Take 2
06. Golden Hair - Take 5
07. Clowns & Jugglers - Take 1
08. Clowns & Jugglers - Take 2
09. It's No Good Trying - Take 5
10. Love You - Take 1
11. Love You - Take 2
12. Love You - Take 3
13. Opel - Take 9
14. Clowns & Jugglers - Take 2
15. Octopus - Takes 1 & 2
16. Golden Hair - Take 6
17. She Took a Long Cold Look at Me - Take 4
18. Dark Globe - Take 1
19. Long Gone - Take 2
I've been listening to a lot of Syd Barrett lately, man's a fucking genius. Here's a bootleg.
01. White Light
02. Where My Love Lies Asleep
03. Because of You
04. For a Spanish Guitar
05. Tears of Rage
06. The Virgin
07. Opening Day
08. With Tomorrow
10. White Light
Okay, I wouldn't normally do this...but this is a re-imagining of an already released album. Plus, it's a bonus fourth album this month as the man removed one of January's entries.
Pretty much all my friends and I are HUGE Gene Clark fans. We all agree that 'No Other' is probably the best (it is a mind blowing cosmic Americana epic), but the album that splits opinion is 'White Light'.
As big a fan as I am, I find 'White Light' to be a tad over rated. For me, the problem lies in the slick, clean sound. The production is too smooth, the other musicians too precise.
I knew the songs on the record were good, so I set about making my own. Using 'Here Tonight: The White Light Demos', some unreleased stuff and of course, the original L.P. I assembled an album.
Every fan does this, but I felt this worked so well, I'd hand it out to anyone who was interested.