Tuesday 19 February 2019

The Byrds - The Ballads of Easy Rider



Self made fan album 1969

01 Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins
02 Tulsa County
03 Jesus Is Just Alright
04 There Must Be Someone (I Can Turn To)
05 Close Up The Honky Tonks
06 It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
07 Fiddler a Dram
08 Gunga Din
09 Jack Tarr the Sailor
10 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
11 Ballad Of Easy Rider


Another fan album from The Byrds, this time, a re-imagining of 1969's 'The Ballad of Easy Rider' (hence the added 's' in the title).

The album as released saw The Byrds critical stock rise slightly after the much maligned 'Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde'. It's a laid back country album, probably better than the sum of it's parts. I've always thought the abandonment of psychedelia from the later Byrds output was a shame, this self made album variation (partially) addresses this.

I start the album with 'Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins', the original experimental closer and McGuinn's latest space obsession song. 'Tulsa County', 'Jesus Is Just Alright' and 'There Must Be Someone (I Can Turn To)' are also from the original album. I end my side 1 with a live version of 'Close Up The Honky Tonks' from 'The Byrds Live at Filmore East' and then 'It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)' from the 'Easy Rider' soundtrack.

Again wanting to open a side with an experimental piece, I chose the outtake 'Fiddler a Dram'. Its weird synth blurb suggesting The Byrds could of remained an experimental psych band if they had wished. Fan favorite 'Gunga Din' follows with original album songs 'Jack Tarr the Sailor' and 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' after that.

I end the album with the soundtrack version of the title song, preferring it over the album version.

Hope any Byrds fans out there will enjoy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/umke399mj5c0502/ilif263-ThBrds-ThBlldsfsyRdr.zip/file

Vomit Pinata said...

Nice job! Love these comps!